Advent in Großarl
ProgramHighlights - Christmas Market – Großarl valley
The varietyof different program highlights makes this Salzburg Alpine Christmas market oneof the most exciting for you and your family!!!
Your visit to the Christmas market in the Großarl valley is not only limited to itsvariety of market stands. The unique attractionsprovide for a once in a lifetime experience of culture and nature, and thefamily program promises exciting experiences for the whole family.
Attractions atthe Salzburg Alps Christmas market in Großarl valley:
- Advent carol concert: traditional Austrian songs, Christmas readings, choir singing and a traditional herdsmen concert await you at the Großarl parish church. Christmas advent carols sung here in Großarl are by far the most popular beyond the borders of Austria. The magnificent backdrop in the church also allows for wonderful acoustics, and the voices and instruments sound particularly impressive. The historic church can seat up to 800 visitors.
- Herdsmen games: The „Alte Forsthaus“in Hüttschlag is the setting for the traditional herdsmen games in which the school children from the village take part. Experience a unique performance packed full of charm. The herdsmen games in the „Alten Forsthaus“in „Hutschlag“are the highlight of the Christmas season. The school pupils put on a show that they have been rehearsing for many weeks.
- Karl Heinrich Waggerl Stuberl: The "Alte Wacht" at the entrance of the Großarl valley, is the backdrop for readings and music. The Salzburger poet Karl Heinrich Waggerl is patron at the Salzburg Alps event.
- Nativity scene: The nativity scenes in Großarl should not be missed. Members of the nativity scene club have been artfully designing and hand crafting their nativity scenes over several months.
- Live nativity scene: the live nativity scene at the Christmas market in Großarl is sure to please every visitor. The detailed life size figures of the holy family have been hand carved. Live animals await you and your family while visiting the nativity scene.
- Torch-lit hike: Make your way to the Großarl Christmas market with your closest friends by torchlight, your path is lit all the way by torches and lanterns which creates a romantic, peaceful atmosphere. Wonderful music accompanies you during your stroll.
- Krampus and Perchten: The Krampus and Perchten run in Großarl is well known in the region. Many Perchten and Krampus clubs organise this event and it is one of the most exciting shows in the Großarl valley. The krampus and perchten present themselves in costume with amazingly terrifying masks. Up to seven different regional groups display themselves in costume, masked at the Christmas market. Many of the masks are hand made and are therefore unique.
- Christ's Child's post office: At Hotel „Alte Post“your children can drop off their „wish lists“ for Christmas. Busy angels help with writing letters, and wishes are forwarded on to the Christ child.
- Baking for kids: In the children’s baking pantry – your child can experience the creative side of baking. Naturally the kids are allowed to help and of course taste their home made cookies.
- Childrens krampus parade: The local children show off their elaborate costumes and masks. Bring the entire family along to see the wonderful regional junior Perchten show.
- St Nicholas evening: St Nicholas’ arrival is a highpoint for the children at the Christmas market in the Großarl valley.St Nicholas and his Krampus’ have been coming to the town centre for many years, and therefore it is a popular event for locals as well as for guests.
- Other than that, you can expect the see the Petting Zoo and a Angels photo studio, where children can dress in angel costumes and have their photos taken, an idyllic Coach ride through the beautiful snow covered landscape and a cosy Christmas workshop await you and the entire family.
At the Christmas market in Großarlvalley, many wonderful hours await you behind a magnifent setting. Thesnow covered landscape; the beautifully lit parish church and the picturesquecentre of Großarl valley surround you as you reach the Christmas market. Weoffer you the perfect accommodation for your stay - non-binding inquiry!